Hey friends! Have you ever wanted something so bad? As a little girl I was always in my room, rearranging, and drawing how I wanted my future house to be. It was down to the fine details and I even wrote down I will live in Utah or Arizona right by a beautiful landscape (at the time I lived in Kansas). Years later, 28 years later to be exact my reality happened. We found an area for our “dream home” and you guessed it was in Utah with a mountain view.
Building a home in 2021 came with many challenges. Lumber prices increasing and shortage of workers were some of the things we experienced. However, it was worth it so we could live in a brand-new home full of all the things my little girl heart desired. After we moved into our home I remember thinking I wish we would have asked these questions. Or I would have known this.
If you are in the same situation or considering building here are some great questions to ask your builder.
- How many years have you been in business, and how many homes have you built?
- What sort of new home warranty do you offer?
- Do you only build from existing floor plans, or can I provide my own set of plans? If I provide my own plans will I be charged?
- What features are standard in the homes you build?
- What is the expected length of time my home will take to build?
- What do you foresee holding up my building time?
- What percentage is required for a down payment?
- What if I change my mind? Is my money refundable?
- Who will be my primary point of contact while we are building?
- Do the communities you build in have a homeowners association? (HOA)? If so, can I have a copy of their rules and fees?
Here are some the questions we asked that were so helpful in our building process. Many things arise when you build, but overall our experience was great. We hope as you build this list helps you the way it did for us.